Tips On How To Deal With Damaged Wall Plaster In Your Home

Nigel Allen
Sep 28, 2021
Tips On How To Deal With Damaged Wall Plaster In Your Home

When you rent a property, you’re likely to encounter issues with the internal walls from time to time. If this happens to you, it’s best not to panic and consider dealing with these matters in an orderly manner. 

Here are a few tips on how to deal with damaged wall plaster in your home.

Check The Lease Agreement

Tenants are often shocked when they realise that their landlord doesn’t legally have to repair damage caused by regular wear and tear. If you rent, check your lease—you may be required to make repairs yourself or submit a formal request for maintenance if you need repairs. 

This may seem unfair, but remember that your landlord is responsible for maintaining structural aspects of your home (e.g., walls, flooring), while you are responsible for cosmetic disrepair (e.g., wall paint). 

Keep Records

It’s always a good idea to keep records of your communications and repair requests with your landlord, as well as proof of any disrepair you report. 

Whether it’s photographs or written notes, make sure you know how and where they are kept so you can access them if needed. This is particularly important when you need help from your local council or housing association to resolve disputes between tenants and landlords. Such organisations take note of what evidence there is, so be prepared!

Stay Vigilant

At some point or another, many landlords end up suffering through plaster problems. It’s important that these issues are addressed quickly; otherwise, they can lead to more serious damage. That’s why it’s crucial for tenants to stay vigilant about their home and report any defects right away. Letting minor issues fester can result in costly repairs for the landlord and even force you out of your home if repairs become too extensive.  

Contact Your Landlord

First and foremost, don’t delay: contact your landlord as soon as you notice a problem. Landlords and tenants have rights and responsibilities, so if you notice disrepair, don’t wait for it to get worse. Contact your landlord immediately so they can resolve it before more damage is done. 

Even if you have an assured short-hold tenancy agreement, landlords are still required by law to provide suitable homes for their tenants. Not only that, but they also have a legal obligation to respond within 24 hours if their tenant reports repairs needed. If you know who your landlord is, be sure to speak with them directly before making any decisions about how to deal with your damaged wall plaster. 

When Your Landlord Ignores Your Request

If a landlord ignores your concerns, and you have tried diligently to make contact with them but they still haven’t responded or fixed any damages, then legal action can be taken against them, for non-action of housing disrepair.

Contact us here at Tenant Rescue, for advice on filing a claim against your landlord.