Landlord Responsibilities For Cracked Or Broken Sanitary Fixtures

Nigel Allen
Sep 28, 2021
Landlord Responsibilities For Cracked Or Broken Sanitary Fixtures

The answer to this question can be difficult to determine, but it’s crucial to know who is responsible if you want to ensure that your home is in good shape. Let’s explore the responsibilities of both landlords and tenants in this area of housing disrepair.

Tenant's Rights When It Comes To Broken Sanitary Fixtures

If you're a tenant and any sanitary fixtures in your rental property are broken or cracked, you should immediately notify your landlord. Landlords typically have a certain amount of time in which they need to fix such problems after receiving notice from their tenants. 

Landlords are responsible for maintaining their rental properties. This includes keeping all sanitary fixtures such as toilets, sinks and baths in working order. If you're renting a property that doesn't have any of these features, your landlord must install them within 21 days of receiving notice from you. Landlords also have to keep these fixtures in good repair throughout your tenancy.

Who Pays For Repairs To Broken Taps And Other Things In Your Rented Home?

If you live in a rented property, then your landlord is responsible for certain repairs that ensure your living conditions meet safety and health standards. These repairs include replacing broken and cracked sanitary fixtures, including: bathtubs, sinks, toilets and showers. If your landlord hasn’t made these types of repairs, it may be time to contact Tenant Rescue, to discuss starting a housing disrepair claim.

Broken But Not Repaired? What Can Tenants Do?

If you report a sanitary fixture problem to your landlord and they fail to repair it, you may be able to claim compensation. If your landlord fails to fix issues that create ‘serious disrepair’ in your home, they can be served with an improvement notice by your local council. 

To request an improvement notice, your local council will need to take reasonable steps to inspect your home. If they think there are issues that amount to ‘serious disrepair’, they can issue a notice giving your landlord a limited time period in which to make repairs. 

If you are unsure what to do next, contact Tenant Rescue for help and advice.